Friday, August 17, 2007

'Pixel Skull'


Ceramic and phosphorescent glass tile on toughened glass.
2100x1370mm.
Death happens. You get that.
Our society is good at ignoring death, but more than a reminder of own mortality, it has become a symbol that has pervaded our popular culture to the point of fascination. We use the imagery to desesitise the very nature of death. I have drawn on this aspect as my inspiration for this work.
Using this image heralds a new beginning in my work, in which I seek to push the medium of mosaic. Not only am I continuing with the traditions of this historic craft, but I am also exploring the full range of modern products available, raising the contemporary nature of this artform.
The phosphorescent glass tiles are new to the market and their use adds a dimension never previously available. Not only does the image stand alone as a 2 D work during the daytime, it also provides an added dimension in the dark.

1 Comments:

Blogger just some random said...

Wow! I can't believe nobody has commented on this already. You have some fantastic ideas Dominic! I have only just started dabbling in mosaics and came across your site by accident one day. Very inspiring to see an aussie doing such great work... I have to admit I'm more than a little envious of your talents!

Keep up the good work

1:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home